This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HaircareWithIntegrity #CollectiveBias
When is the last time you looked at the ingredients listed in your shampoo? Could you even pronounce half of them? There are so many scary chemicals added to your haircare products that you might not even realize! Of course, we all want great hair, but truth be told, you don’t need the 25-letter word ingredients to get that! Today, I wanted to take a deeper dive into five ingredients you should avoid in your haircare products
After staring at my dry, breaking hair, I went on a hunt for a revitalizing product and tried Biotera’s new Natural Origin Restore line that is made of up to 97% naturally derived ingredients (and is affordable – heck yeah!). I started doing a bit more research on why a brand goes through the effort of making products free of sulfates, silicones and more and how that might make an impact on healing my hair. After just a day of reading around, I had a completely different outlook on the products I will choose to put in my hair – I only want products made with integrity. Biotera Natural Origin is free from sulfates (sulfated surfactants), silicones, parabens and dyes. Not only that, but it features biodegradable formulas in 100% recyclable packaging, so you can care for your hair and the Earth at the same time.
Now, let’s get started on chatting through how to repair your hair by avoiding these five ingredients:
INGREDIENTS TO AVOID IN YOUR HAIRCARE PRODUCTS #1: SULFATES
- Sulfates are often found in your hair products because they are responsible for creating that super-sudsy lather you know and love. Unfortunately, the luxe lather also strips your hair strands of its much-needed natural oils, drying out your hair and causing it to break.
INGREDIENTS TO AVOID IN YOUR HAIRCARE PRODUCTS #2: SILICONES
- Silicone, as it sounds, is certainly not natural and is actually a derivative of plastic. It gives your hair the illusion of shine, but not the kind of natural shine we want in our healthy, lovely locks. The fake shine is the result of the plastic coating you are essentially adding to your hair. So what? Why do we care if the shine is natural or fake? The shine that comes from silicone is not a sustainable shine and will actually lead to the reverse affect. Silicone will weigh the hair down, making it flat and dull. The coating prevents moisture and other healthy ingredients from penetrating into your strands of hair, which also makes your hair a magnet for dirt and other ingredients. Silicones will give you a beautiful shine for a couple of days, but over time it will attract more product buildup on the hair, leaving your hair limp and lifeless.
INGREDIENTS TO AVOID IN YOUR HAIRCARE PRODUCTS #3: PARABENS
- Parabens are a bit scary. While they have not been proven to cause cancer, studies have shown that some parabens at high levels can interfere with estrogen production, which can increase breast cell division and tumor growth. Chemicals are chemicals and quite honestly, I want as few as possible in my beauty products. So I typically try to steer clear of parabens to be safe.
INGREDIENTS TO AVOID IN YOUR HAIRCARE PRODUCTS #4: DYES
- Unless you are trying to color your hair, you do not want dyes in your products. A lot of haircare products have synthetic colors in them to make them look prettier. This is just another chemical that is unnecessary and you might as well cut. Synthetic dyes are linked to many health concerns, allergies, and it can irritate your skin.
INGREDIENTS TO AVOID IN YOUR HAIRCARE PRODUCTS #5: ANIMAL-TESTED AND ANIMAL BY-PRODUCTS
- It is always great to incorporate vegan products into your routines when possible.
I’ve loved using my Biotera haircare products to cut back on the five ingredients your hair could do without above! Check it out for yourself and see if your locks appreciate the natural love.